Saturday, December 1, 2007

Addiction......


The last several days have been hard! Avery my oldest is giving her pacifier to Santa to give to a baby in need of one! Well, it is not that easy. Poor Baby girl and poor mommy! For those of you that know Avery know that she is a very strong willed, well adjusted, secure young lady! (All of three) Except when it comes to her "PACI".
We went to see Santa on Thursday and have talked about giving it up since she turned three in Sept. when the paci fairy came and took all her pacifiers and left her a fancy surprise with glitter and stuff, that day was only temorary because she got sick and was in the hospital & how do you tell a sick baby, Uh no paci sorry when she has an IV in her arm.
Well today was the big day! We get out of the car with our list of wants for Santa and our paci! She is excited and sits right on Santa's lap and proceeds to tell him what she wants, "I want Candy Land Castle & a real Gecko and on & on....." Santa knew from a prior conversation with the photographer that he would be receiving the ever so coveted Finley Fish Pacifier. It of course is not an ordinary pacifier, it is a FANCY one that comes with a name and closes when it is dropped to prevent as many germs and yuckies found on the floors and wherever else it may land! I was very surprised with how well the drop off of Finley went until we get to the car and she realized it was not coming home with us for her nap! Oh Lord........... I have prayed about this day on bended knee for strength and wisdom! WHERE IS IT? My strength and wisdom?
She cries and cries and throws up and just plain acts CRAZY! Honestly that was just the beginning of the consequences that follow well into the wee morning hours! That night she is crying so hard and for so long it was like someone going through withdraw! She did not sleep. I finally gave in at 4:30am. oh and did I say her daddy is out of town yet again or still or however you want to say it, so alone again I am. God made Adam & Eve, Right?
An addict, an over eater, a smoker, an alcholic, a gambler all with a vice have to go through a program or some type of support group. Maybe a diet but they still get to eat, a nicotine patch but they still get the nicotine and sneak in a cigarette or some type of tobacco, an alcholic goes through a 12 step program, a gambler well you get my point! My poor baby has had this DAMN PACIFIER since birth! 3 years & 3 months to be exact and never slept without it! Not even a nap! I always had a reserve, backup, substitute, extra one whatever! I thought I was doing myself a favor by having one around for her naps and Night Night! She has always been a great sleeper! NOT ANYMORE! I feel so bad for her, she shakes, cries, tells me her stomach hurts her head hurts. I only have a caffeine addiction...and beware when I don't have my Dr. Pepper or cup of coffee, I get a headache and the whole world pays! I guess what I am so frustrated with is why does she have to give it up? She is not hurting anyone. I know it looks silly for a 3 yr old to have a pacifier hanging out of her mouth in public BUT I only let her have it at home or in the car! I just have all this guilt that she is to big for it and needs to get rid of it for Dental reasons, oh ya my dentist said told her to give it to the fish, he knows she loves to fish! Easy for him to say, why doesn't he try to give something he LOVES away to the damn fish!I have guilt when Family & friends say or by the look on their face that says, "Aren't you a little big to have that in your mouth or why do you let her have that or My, my, the dental bill for her is going to be outrageous!? I wish they knew how bad that makes me feel and by the who are they to comment on something like that! Don't they know I know she is a little BIG for a pacifier! My words to them will be next time."Why don't you stop smoking, don't you know it gives you cancer? Why don't you go on a diet, your jeans look a little tight, My you drink alot are you an alcoholic! UGH! Of course I will not say anything to anyone but I sure would like to! If anyone has advice please comment my way! My little girl said to me mommy please go buy me a new paci and tell Santa I dont need any new toys!!!! What do you say to that? This is a picture of how her last few days have been! SAD!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my!! We are BIG paci fans...Brandt still has one and is almost 4, he's only allowed to have it in his bed and we talk everyday how when he turns 4, it goes bye bye...I'm not into the cold turkey parenting, we just cut down....I think you're on the right path though..good luck!!

Melody A. said...

You poor thing. And poor poor Avery. Natalya is a finger sucker still at 6. She only does it when she is trying to fall asleep. Vienne is a thumbsucker, and, well, does it a lot still, but not when she's playing. Listen to your heart and it will all end up fine and with no scars.

Melody A. said...

I tagged you for a meme. Go to my blog to find out what I'm talking about, newbie.

http://thehipmommasjournal.blogspot.com/2007/12/main-street-with-our-buddies.html

Anonymous said...

Mendy - you are a great mother - do not feel guilt about this at all. She'll give it up easy peasy when the time is right. It's just not right yet. No worries : )
Crissy

Stacy said...

Yes, that sounds like it did not go well. :( Poor baby, and I so see your point on people's comments. I'm afraid we will be on the receiving end of those soon.